As someone who wants to study the human consciousness I found this very interesting.
Scott Routley was a “vegetable”. A car accident seriously injured both sides of his brain, and for 12 years, he was completely unresponsive.
Unable to speak or track people with his eyes, it seemed that Routley was unaware of his surroundings, and doctors assumed he was lost in limbo. They were wrong.
In 2012, Professor Adrian Owen decided to run tests on comatose patients like Scott Routley. Curious if some “vegetables” were actually conscious, Owen put Routley in an fMRI and told him to imagine walking through his home. Suddenly, the brain scan showed activity. Routley not only heard Owen, he was responding.
Next, the two worked out a code. Owen asked a series of “yes or no” questions, and if the answer was “yes,” Routley thought about walking around his house. If the answer was “no,” Routley thought about playing tennis.
These different actions showed activity different parts of the brain. Owen started off with easy questions like, “Is the sky blue?” However, they changed medical science when Owen asked, “Are you in pain?” and Routley answered, “No.” It was the first time a comatose patient with serious brain damage had let doctors know about his condition.
While Scott Routley is still trapped in his body, he finally has a way to reach out to the people around him. This finding has huge implications.
Everyone’s either getting engaged or married… And here is me. Ya know, forever alone
why dont these words rhyme
but for some god forsaken reason pony and bologna do
If you think instrumental music is stupid you can decrescendo out of my life
" 1. Buy a new poster and hang it on your wall.
do it -blossite (via blossite)
2. Set your background as someone you admire.
3. Break a mirror.
4. Save lady bugs and other little critters
5. Meet new people, tell them they are important
6. Buy a pretty old dress from a worn down thrift shop
7. Eat a food you’ve never tried before
8. Prove someone wrong.
9. Get mad
10. Get nervous
11. Watch a favorite old time movie
12. Plant some flowers, they give you oxygen
13. Paint someone a picture
14. Hold someone’s hand
15. Dance in front of people, show your free spirit
16. Put your hair in a ponytail
17. Compliment someone on their grammar
18. Be nice to the teacher you hate
19. Smile at your arch enemy
20. Buy new curtains
21. Crack open your window.
22. Put on some lotion
23. Buy new earrings
24. Play some music
25. Swoon over a crush
26. Take pictures of things you love
27. Lay in bed
28. Tell her you love her
29. Tell him you love him
30. Don’t waste any time. Beautiful things and chances pass us by everyday and we never get them back. "
The science witch trials
i had this shit as a child and it was so much fucking fun to play with